Thursday 5 May 2016

Top 6 Movie Actresses

Top 6 Movies The concept is simple, everybody always asks about top 5 things, top 5 movies, songs, dinners, cities, sexual positions etc... But 5 can be a easy number to hit, 6 however, finding that extra 1 is difficult. So this blog will focus over time on finding the Top 6 Movies in any category, whether its top 6 movies based on comic books, set in a sky scraper or starred in by a particular actor/actress, we will find the top 6 movies of any type of all time.

Top 6 Movie Actresses

The world is populated by many fine actresses, however there are only a few who would make me watch a movie I wasn't otherwise considering. I am laying down the gauntlet to anyone out there who would challenge me that their list is better. The only rules are that the actress must have starred in a motion picture and you must be able to reference at least 1 movie where they put in a stellar performance. Here is my list;

6. Anne Hathaway
Movie Reference; The Devil Wears Prada


I have to admit to having movie love for Anne since seeing her in The Princess Diaries  then so far every movie I have seen her in to date I have thoroughly enjoyed her performances, consistently getting into the role and being likeable no matter what. A very credible actress dealing with difficult subjects such as in the comedy drama Love and Other Drugs [DVD] to playing the style challenged Andy in The Devil Wears Prada. A very strong start to the list as my number 6.

5. Reese Whitherspoon
Movie Reference; Just Like Heaven [DVD]
 

I didn't really like Reese first time I saw her, which was in Cruel Intentions [DVD] [1999] , however that was probably more to do with the fact that I like so many other men were having a serious Sarah Michelle Gellar fascination. After re-watching the film I can appreciate how good Reese was in the part, however films such as Legally Blonde [DVD] [2001] and Sweet Home Alabama [DVD] [2002] made her a household name, turning the blonde bombshell into a fan favourite. Despite her growing stardom it wasn't until her fantastic performance in Just Like Heaven [DVD] that I feel she makes my list, it was such a fun, romantic, feel good film with some really good one liners. Reese is a solid actress and I would be much more inclined to put on a movie knowing that she is in it.

4. Morena Baccarin
Movie Reference; Deadpool



Morena was always on my list, ever since I fell in love with her on Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003] , I would have changed the rules to get her on the list even if she hadn't followed it up with a movie. But she did and with credits such as Serenity [DVD] [2005] and Deadpool to her name the jobbing TV actress has been given the key to the holy land. An engaging actress in TV shows including Stargate SG-1 - Complete Season 1-10 plus The Ark of Truth/ Continuum (New Packaging) [DVD] , Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003] , V - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2011] and Homeland - Season 1-4 [DVD] [2011], Morena has shown how diverse an actress that she is, her recent turn in Deadpool was no different, taking every advantage of her talent to show she was every bit a match for Ryan Reynolds. Despite my wife's distain for my emotional attachment to her for all these years I would certainly go and see a film with Morena in the cast list.

3. Marisa Tomei
Movie Reference; My Cousin Vinny



Mona Lisa Vito was the first experience I had that a woman could be like that, mouthy, tough, beautiful, knowledgeable, sexy, clever and right. The fact that Marisa won an Oscar for the part is of no surprise to me at all. Unfortunately she suffered from what is sometimes a curse of the golden statue, in that everybody wants you and unless your careful the parts they want you for aren't good enough. Seeing Marisa sitting next to Robert Downey Junior on the sofa in the new Captain America: Civil War [Blu-ray] [2016] reminded me about the rather lacklustre romcom that the two starred in many moons ago called Only You [DVD] [1999] . I couldn't fault either Tomei or Downey as they were both good in the film, it's just the storyline that let them down. Since then she has been putting in great supporting roles in films such as The Guru [DVD] [2002] , The Wrestler [DVD] and The Rewrite [DVD] . We are all getting excited to see more of her as Aunt May in the upcoming Spiderman Homecoming film. I have loved watching Marisa Tomei since the first time I saw her, luckily for me that first time wasn't Sylvester Stallone's Oscar [DVD]. Always on my list.

2. Natalie Portman
Movie Reference; Thor [DVD]



A strange choice picking Thor [DVD] as my movie reference I know as she has done much more varied work and I know it was a part that she felt under-utilised in. However I can't keep harping back to Leon I need to credit her for film she has done more recently and as the Star Wars prequels are largely out of favour, Mars Attacks! [DVD] [1996] can't really be taken seriously neither can Your Highness (Extended Edition) [DVD] . A lot of the other films such as Closer , Black Swan and V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] I didn't like enough to credit them, so there it is Thor. The sheer range of parts that Portman has played combined with the fact she has been good in every one of them shows why she is on the list. I could never tire of watching her in a movie and am quite saddened by reports that she may not return as Jane Foster in the third instalment of Thor.

1. Emma Stone
Movie Reference; Easy A



Anybody who does not think Emma Stone is talented needs to go outside and beat themselves with a cricket bat and try again. When I saw Easy A I wasn't expecting much from it, the film had been recommended to me by someone else and I thought 'fine I'll give it a try.' I was so surprised by how witty and clever the film appeared to be, held together by the fantastically charismatic Stone who owned every scene she was in. This film made me hungry for more, Zombieland came next, followed by Superbad . I was hooked, The Amazing Spider-Man finally gave viewers a Peter Parker love interest worthy of the character, no more Kirsten Dunst, yay! She followed that up with the film The Help [DVD] which was phenomenal, showing some great depth to her skills, not only love interest, mild action starlet, comedy performer but also clever and witty. We are still very much at the start of the Emma Stone tidal wave, there is plenty more to come and like a fine wine I am sure she will only get better with age.

Well there you have it, that is my list, I challenge you all to suggest a better list, however if you feel I have forgotten someone or you believe I am totally wrong then please post your list in the comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment